Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Daring Bakers: Doughnuts


The October 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge DBers to make doughnuts. She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann, and Epicurious.


There were quite a few choices this month.

We could make yeast doughnuts, buttermilk cake doughnuts, pumpkin doughnuts, and bombolini, which are stuffed balls of fried goodness.



I happen to love maple bars, so that is what I made.



I added some vanilla to the basic yeast dough recipe, then added a maple glaze. Some doughnuts were topped with bacon (as a tribute to Voodoo Doughnuts).



I've been making doughnuts for many years. I always use my handy electric skillet, so I can easily monitor the temperature of the oil.




The resulting doughnuts were pretty close to the flavors I love. They actually tasted slightly better the next day and disappeared quickly after that.


Stop by the Daring Kitchen to find the recipes and see all the doughnuts that the Daring Bakers made.




1 comment:

Emma said...

You will be making these when we come out in Jan, yes?