Thursday, March 12, 2009

WCC: Love

As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. This is sadly the case for one of my favorite food blogging events, Weekend Cookbook Challenge, created by Sara of i like to cook. Since I began participating, I've looked forward each month to the challenge topic, and I've had a great time playing along.



For the final event, Sara chose Love as the theme, to be interpreted very broadly. It only took me a minute or so to choose what I would do. I'll be writing about two things that I love dearly.



Hands down, I'm in love with my kitchen. It's the main thing that keeps me where I am, and many of my friends think I'm crazy. It's only a kitchen, they say. You can always create another one like it.



Perhaps.


But I'd have to be on the verge of ruin to let it go.



When I bought this house over 6 years ago, the kitchen was truly a disaster. Since I had a few months before moving in, I chose to gut the kitchen and replace it with my own creation. I worked on plans, shopped for appliances and cupboards and lights and counter. Then, I found some lucky souls who would be willing to do all the dirty work for me. It was an adventure. Luckily, not a nightmare.



After having worked in my kitchen for over 6 years now, I can honestly say that there is very little I would change if I had to go through another renovation. More drawers, fewer cabinets. More book shelves. But all in all, it suits me perfectly. Here's a brief, counter-clockwise tour:














My second favorite cooking item is my saucier. I wouldn't be able to part with this tool, either, but thankfully, it's small and portable.



I use it for any sauce-like recipe, such as bechamel. This is how I make macaroni and cheese: a bechamel sauce with cheese and cooked pasta. Each time it's different because I vary the cheese and/or the pasta. The bechamel is usually the same and comes out perfectly every time, thanks to the saucier.





So, Sara, thanks for creating and hosting WCC. I'll miss the ride, but I've had a blast along the way.

6 comments:

Megan said...

What a nice, bright, cheery kitchen. No matter what anyone says, it is the most important room in the house. Everything seems to happen there! I love the light wood cabinets - and the pull out pantry!

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, I'll stop sending you ads for jobs in DC. :-) Far be it from me to come between a woman and her Dream Kitchen!!

Allison

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Yes I totally understand you would love that kitchen! That was the pan I was looking for three days ago and couldn't find. Funny as soon as I saw yours, I can find mine now.
I think I could enjoy some mac & cheese about now.

Sara said...

your kitchen is fabulous! thanks for taking part in wcc, i appreciate all your posts!

Ruth Daniels said...

I love your kitchen too! I'm still dreaming about my perfect kitchen for now.

The mac n cheese looks great as well. Hopefully one of these days you'll share a pasta recipe with Presto Pasta Nights.

www.prestopastanights.com

Kitchen Bliss! said...

Hi there! That is indeed a beautiful kitchen, I'm jealous! Just wanted to stop by and let you know that in an attempt to keep Sara's awesome WCC idea alive, I have created the Dusty Cookbook Challenge in hopes to continue trying out new recipes from our old cookbooks! Hope to see you at the DCC sometime in the future! Dusty Cookbook Challenge