Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Pie: Fashionable Yet Strange



I have to admit that I was stumped by this month’s theme: Pies as a Fashion Statement. What does that really mean? Let’s hope it is open to artistic interpretation.

So, after pondering this for considerable time, I decided that a black and white combination could be the height of fashion: tuxedos, Ascot hats and gowns, penguins.

Now, this pie, although black and white, was a strange one, sort of backwards. It tasted fine, but I’m not sure I would make it again in the same way. I’d probably make a regular crust and cut back on the orange peel. Best of luck to anyone who is brave enough to try it. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Holly, this month's hostess, interpreted this theme.




Black and white pie


4 tablespoons butter; softened

¾ cup brown sugar; packed

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon orange zest; grated

3 ounces bittersweet chocolate cut in 1/2-inch bits

½ cup white chocolate chunks 1/2-inch pieces

⅔ cup pecans; chopped

1 recipe for a single-crust pie

Whipped cream



Preheat oven to 325°F. In a medium bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium until creamy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange zest until well blended; mixture may look slightly curdled. Stir in bittersweet and white chocolate chunks and pecans. Crumble pie crust dough on top, stirring with a fork until well blended.

Pour into a greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake 35 mins, or until set. Let pie cool before serving, topped with whipped cream.


Close-up of filling:

11 comments:

Tammy said...

cool idea!

You Want Pies With That? said...

Looks like a great idea to me! Thanks for going for it!

The Food Librarian said...

I've never heard of a black & white pie - but what a fitting pie for this month's theme. I'm working on mine tomorrow!

Megan said...

You are going to crack up when you see my pie tomorrow..........
hint: it's black and white (but not the same as yours)

NKP said...

Mmmm... I would eat a black and white pie! Great idea.

Anonymous said...

I was stumped, too, with the theme, then decided on my favorite color. My pie was waaaaaayyy to much work, so I don't know if I'll make it again, either.

Anne said...

I love the color theme! Your pie looks great.

Susie Homemaker said...

Great idea - very creative!

Anonymous said...

Black and white never goes out of style. Awesome idea!

Jacque said...

It looks so pretty! I like how it really is black and white.

Bungalow Barbara said...

I'm enjoying all the different takes on the theme of "black and white." Yours sounds almost like a pecan pie filling but with chocolate chunks. Yum!