Monday, August 18, 2008

TWD: Granola Grabbers

After looking at the ingredient list for this week’s TWD event, I came close to passing it by. Granola and wheat germ were the problems. Now, I like both of them, but they aren’t staples in my pantry and they are both rather costly. I could have made my own granola, I suppose, but with work projects and out-of-town guests, there just wasn’t the time. So, I made myself a deal. If I found usable granola at Trader Joe’s, I would spring for the wheat germ.


We are still a one-Trader Joe’s town, and when I made my weekly visit, I discovered that they had been making improvements (?) by shifting their inventory. Gone was the wide selection of granola. The only non-fruit-granola choice I had was Ginger, Almond, and Cashew Granola. So, that became the base of my cookies. On to the megamart for the wheat germ. $6.00 for a jar. $6.00? Must be made of gold. After removing the measly 1/3 cup, the jar went into cold storage to extend its shelf life.


I made a few other changes. No raisins in cookies in this house, so chocolate chips were substituted instead, although I could have gotten away with currants. If I make these again, I will use the currants. In place of sweetened coconut, I used unsweetened that I had on hand. There was agreement that the cookies had the right amount of sweetness, and I believe the unsweetened coconut contributed to that observation.


All the remaining ingredients were the same. Instruction-wise, I just folded the butter-sugar-flour mixture into the granola-nut mixture by hand since I didn’t want to crush anything. Using a small ice cream scoop, I dished the cookies onto the cookie sheets, did some minor shaping, and then baked them for about 11 minutes at 375F.



Taster ratings were as follows:


Daughter: good but not a cookie she would request; peanuts & coconut were overpowering

Grandma: good but wished there were raisins added as well

Moi: good but will use a different granola next time, since the ginger was too strong. Great for breakfast, though!


We all agreed that the cookies tasted better the next day, when the flavors had a chance to blend and mellow.



While this wasn’t a cookie I would have independently chosen to make, I’m glad I had the chance to try them out. Thanks to Michelle, of Bad Girl Baking, for choosing the Granola Grabbers. It will be interesting to see all the comments and variations from the other TWD Bakers this week.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like ginger, but I can easily imagine it might overwhelm this cookie. Well, you already have the wheat germ for the next time you make this!

Engineer Baker said...

I agree with Lori - the wheat germ is just waiting for your next adaptation of these. Raisins were actually one of my favorite parts of these cookies.

Megan said...

Yum - ginger almond cashew granola!

You deserve an award just for getting that far with ingredients that didn't want to cooperate.

I agree, these will be perfect for breakfast - crumble them up with yogurt and call it health food!

Anonymous said...

Hahah I love all of the different opinions on the cookies! They look great and are perfect for breakfast!

Pamela said...

That granola you used sounds pretty tasty. I agree that it tasted a little more intense the next day. You have all that wheat germ waiting for more cookies!

CB said...

Agree. Cookies were better the next day. Actually I am sitting here, eating some for breakfast while reading your post! Yum.
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

NKP said...

I like the sound of the ginger but can understand how it would need time to mellow.
I keep my wheat germ and bran in the freezer as it goes bad quickly in the cupboard and even in the fridge.

Anonymous said...

$6 for wheat germ, wow. I passed that up as well, because it was $4.35. I wonder if your bottle was bigger. But, you have a TJ's, and I don't, so I'd take $6 wheat germ. My husband said the same thing about the peanuts, didn't really want them in there, but still thought they were decent.

The Food Librarian said...

I found $6 WG too. I put it back on the Ralphs store shelf :) I'm kicking myself that I didn't bring the ingredient list with me to Whole Foods and pick it up in bulk. I hope you find another recipe to use it! :) The cookies look great!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'm jealous of the ginger-almond-cashew granola. These really needed a little spice.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Ginger sounds like a nice addition, though from your recommendation maybe not so much! At least everyone liked them.

Rigby said...

The granola you used sounds good....your cookies look wonderful!