Thursday, August 21, 2008

Quick Pizza Dough Recipe


As promised in the preceding post, here’s my recipe for pizza dough. I found it years ago, and even though I’ve tried different recipes, this is the version I always return to because it can be made at a moment’s notice. The original recipe calls for whole wheat flour, but typically I use all all-purpose flour because the rise is better. Maybe adding a smidge more yeast would help with the whole wheat. You could also throw in the wheat germ, too, to boost the AP flour. [ I seem to have an abundance of wheat germ at the moment ; ) ]


Pizza dough (with whole-wheat flour}

1 package active dry yeast

2/3 c. lukewarm water (105-115°F)

2 t. sugar

½ t. salt

1 T. olive oil

1 ½ c. all-purpose flour

1 c. whole wheat flour (I sometimes use all-purpose flour)

Dissolve yeast in warm water (with a pinch of sugar) in the processor bowl. Add sugar, salt, oil, and all the AP flour. Process with the metal blade for 15 seconds. Let rise for 30 minutes in the processor bowl. Add whole wheat (or AP) flour and process until a ball forms on the blades.

Remove dough and knead on floured surface for 1 minute. Roll out into a large circle or rectangle to the desired thickness, about 1/8 to ¼ “ thick. Pinch up a rim around the edge.

Spread with the prepared Pizza Sauce, shredded cheese, and desired toppings.

Bake in a preheated 400° F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on thickness crust. Serve.



This is a very versatile recipe, so you can be creative with the dough and the toppings. And, by using the food processor, it doesn't get much easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a recipe I love but you know me!

I'm going to be trying your pizza dough a bit later in the week when I have to decide which of the 5 basil plants I have in the garden is going to well... um... end it's season.